Please describe the case in detail
In particular please consider (a)Objectives of the intervention; (b) Tools used to achieve the project goals; (c) Methodologies applied;
Healthcare professions are highly demanding both physically and mentally. A great deal of attention is paid to professional skills, whereas physical demands of healthcare professions are perceived as a marginal matter. However, the Medical College reflects this area and seeks to promote healthy movement as a preparation for demanding jobs. Building of a gym in one of the classrooms is an appropriate addition to preparing students for moving with the patient and handling demanding services.
What resources are required for the case?
Consider human resources, financial resources, infrastructure, in-kind resources and any other type required.
- Plan a project for building of a gym for students and academics
- Selective control of aids (mattresses, balls, boxing bags, protectors, mu-thai equipment)
- Training a worker to become a self-defense coach
- Incorporation of self-defense and sports into the curriculum of MC students
What are the enabling factors making this case successful?
Consider institutional support, environmental/social/political factors, etc.
- Student involvement by movement
- Exercise allows relaxation and prevention of stress
- Exercise improves access to the patient
- Exercise improves patient care
Why do you consider this case to be good/best practice?
Please consider that a best practice must (a) have a clearly defined objective to increase the connection with the World of Work, (b) address the target groups of the project, (c) be replicable and sustainable, (d) have clearly demonstrated evidence of effectiveness in increasing the connection with the World of Work
Regular movement and exercise with all its merits have an impact not only on preparing for the demanding profession of a healthcare professional, but it also enhances the cooperation between academics and students. MC notes these areas that might be considered as marginal and supports them with their students. A visit to the gym is an important addition to preventing the burnout of healthcare professionals.